ULANGAN HARIAN BAHASA INGGRIS
SMP N 2 BAMBANGLIPURO
TAHUN PELAJARAN 2009- 2010
Kelas : IX ( Sembilan )
Hari / Tanggal : Kamis, 10 September 2009
Waktu : 14.00 – 16.00
I.Answer the questions by choosing the correct alternative!
ARTICLES ARE CONSIDERED SOLD
IF YOU BROKE THEM
1. Which of the following sentences best explains the above sign?
a. The shop sells special broken articles
b. You don’t have to buy the articles that are broken
c. In this section you will only find broken articles
d. If you break any of the articles, you should pay for it.
2. Mrs. Rina : What a comfortable bus is it!
Mrs.Linda : That’s right. It is an executive bus. So that’s why we have to pay more for this.
The underline utterance expresses ……………
a. disappointment c. exclamation
b. disagreement d. agreement
3. Dona : I think I have to buy a new calculator.
Tina : Yes, you’re right. The old one is out of order.
The underline word express ………………..
a. certainty c. agreement
b. uncertainty d. disagreement
4. Winda : Next Sunday, we will have a holiday, won’t we?
What about going to Mount Bromo?
Melan : …………because the air is too cold there. I am sure we can not stand it.
a. I agree with you c. That’s a good idea
b. I disagree with you d. There is no doubt about it.
5. Lena : Can you tell me about the sea?
Ina : The sea is ………..than a lake, but the ocean is …….
a. more big-the biggest c. more large-the most large
b. larger-the largest d. bigger-the most biggest
6. Wida : Next Saturday, we will be invited to come to Maya’s birthday party.
What about going there together by my motorcycle?
Yadi : ……………..That’s good idea, my own motorcycle was broken.
a. I agree with you. c. I’m not sure about it
b. I don’t agree with you d. I doubt
7. Rona : Hi, James. I heard that your sister gave birth to a son.
James : Three and a half kilos.
Rona : Really? He must be a healthy baby?
a. How much does he weight c. How old is he?
b. How cute is he? d. How tall is he?
8. How much water do we need?
a. 3 cups c. 8 cups
b. 5 cups d. 16 cups
9. Lala : I think Jessica will learn from what she has done.
Brian : That’s wrong. She never learn from her experience.
Lala : But at least, we have a good hope for her.
Brian : Alright.
The bold typed expression is used to show………
a. certainty c. uncertainty
b. disagreement d. agreement
10. Study this notice!
What does the notice mean?
a. We can go to the pool before lunch time
b. You cannot swim here
c. Children should be under adults’ supervision
d. Children get 40% off than the adult
11. Read the following label.
How should the chicken nuggets be kept?
a. In the box c. In the room
b. In the oven d. In the freezer
12. Where would you likely find the caution above?
a. On a pack of cigarette c. On a box of drugs
b. On a pack of coffee d. On a box of cereal
13. What does the caution on right side mean?
a. The machine orders people to get out.
b. The machine cannot work properly.
c. The machine is in good condition
d. The machine is well-ordered.
14. Anas : My grandma is seriously ill. She is in a hospital now.
Anas : So I cannot come to the meeting this evening.
Beta : Never mind.
a. Congratulation! c. I am sorry to hear that.
b. She is ready to see us. d. We are glad to know that.
15. Berlian : What do you think of my new dress?
Intan : …………………….
Berlian : Thanks.
a. Is it new? c. It is a good idea.
b. Is it a nice dress? d. What a nice dress!
16. Susan : …………do you write a letter to your uncle, Sus?
Susi : I usually write it once a month.
a. How much c. How old
b. How long d. How often
Dance Ticket Price Time
Balet Rp. 2.500 19.00
Jaipong Rp. 1.000 19.30
Serimpi Rp. 1.250 17.00
Pendet Rp. 2.000 20.00
I want to buy the Pendet Ticket although ……….
a. It is cheaper than other c. It’s shows time earliest
b. Its performance is the latest d. It is the most expensive
18. Mr. Budiman has three children: Eka is twelve years old, Tuti is ten and Ari is eight.
From the statement, we know that……………..
a. Eka is the eldest of all c. Tuti is younger than Ari
b. Eka is younger than Tuti d. Ari is elder than Tuti
Once there lived a widow and her son on the west coast of Minangkabau. She was very poor. They got their food by selling branches of wood gathered by her son, Malin Kundang, from the forest.
Everyday when his mother went to the market, he went to coast because he wanted to become a captain of a big ship.
One day, when he was a young man, a ship came into the coast, he ran the ship. When the captain saw Malin, he called him. ”Come here, boy”.” Do you like to work in my ship?” Of course, he liked it very much. His mother was very sad because her only son didn’t go home.
Time passed by, a big ship came into the coast. How surprised the widow was when she knew that the captain of the ship was her son.
She rushed to the harbor, crying,”Malin,Malin Kundang, my son”. When she came near Malin, he ordered his men to stop her.Malin was very ashamed because of his mother wore bad clothes. He pretended not to recognize his mother.
The ship left the harbor. Her mother was very angry with her son. “God will punish you, Malin”.”The sea will swallow you”. Then a great storm came and Malin sank down with her ship.
19. Which statement is not true according to the text?
a. Malin is a loyal son c. Malin sinned against her mother
b. Malin is a captain of a big ship d. Malin was from west Sumatra
20. Why did Malin Kundang sink down? Because ……….
a. Malin’s ship was very big
b. Malin’s ship came to the coast
c. His mother wore bad and poor clothes
d.His mother prayed to God to punish him with a great storm and her prayer was answered by God
21. What is the main idea of the fourth paragraph?
a. The widow was very surprised to know that the captain of the ship was her son
b. Time passed by
c. A big ship came into the coast
d. She rushed to the harbor, crying,”Malin,my son”.
22. “ The sea will swallow you” ( the last paragraph ).What does the word
“you” refer to?
a. a great storm c. Malin Kundang
b. Malin’s ship d. his mother
23. What does the text above tell about?
a. Malin’s ship c. Malin was a poor man who lived with his mother
b. Malin was a captain d. Malin was a son who sinned against his mother
24. What kind of the text is it?
a. Report c. Descriptive
b. Narrative d. Recount
25. 1. Yes, sir. Have you got an account with this bank?
2. Good morning. I’d like to transfer one million rupiahs to my daughter in Bali
3. Good morning, sir. What can I do for you?
4. Yes, here’s my cheque book
The correct order of the dialogue is ……………
a. 2 – 4 – 1 – 3 c. 3 – 4 – 2 – 1
b. 2 – 3 – 1 – 4 d. 3 – 2 – 1 – 4
26. 1. Dial the number
2. Get the phone from the hook
3. Listen to the tone
4. Talk politely
The correct order to use the phone is ………
a. 1 – 2 – 3 – 4 c. 2 – 3 – 1– 4
b. 2 – 1 – 3 – 4 d. 3 –1 – 4 – 2
27. Arrange these sentences to make a coherent paragraph!
1. Some of the places where they live are Africa, South America and Australia.
2. They hunt mammals and birds which come to the river to drink.
3. Crocodiles are the largest and the most dangerous reptiles.
4. They can attack people.
5. They have large mouths and many sharp teeth.
6. They live in rivers.
a. 3 – 6 – 1 – 5 – 2 – 4 c. 5 – 1 – 3 – 2 – 4 – 6
b. 4 – 1 – 3 – 2 – 5 – 6 d. 6 – 3 – 2 – 4 – 1 – 5
28. The – national – reserve – is – largest – Indonesia – in – Mount Leuser – park – nature.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
The best arrangement is …………..
a. 1,2,3,7,6,4,8,10,5,9 c. 1,2,3,7,6,4,5,10,9,8
b. 8,9,4,1,5,10,3,7,6,2 d. 8,2,9,4,1,5,10,3,7,6
29. 1. Organic mineral are oil and coal
2. Indonesia is very rich in its natural resources
3. They stretch most of all over Indonesia
4. They are organic, unorganic and other mineral
The best arrangement for the jumbled sentences above is …..
a. 2,3,4,1 c. 2, 3, 1, 4
b. 3,4,1,2 d. 2, 4, 1, 3
30. Arrange these jumbled sentences “how to have a phone call “
1.Dial the phone number including the area code
2.End the call by pressing the end key
3.Press the key call
4.Press the scroll key to increase the volume
5.Wait for the answer
a. 1, 4, 3, 5, 2 c. 3, 4, 1, 5, 2
b. 1, 3, 5, 4, 2 d. 3, 1, 5, 4, 2
Untuk soal nomor 1 s/d no.3, jawablah dengan jelas dan tepat!
1. Arrange these sentences into a good paragraph( Bobot Nilai 3 )
A. She was pretty, loving and clever but she was very poor.
B. Then Cinderella became a princess
C. Fortunately, she met a prince, and he fell in love with her
D. Once upon a time ,there was a little girl called Cinderella
E. She lived with her step mother and step sisters who were very unkind
2. How to send an SMS? ( Bobot Nilai 5 )
First : ……………………..
Second : ……………………..
Then : ……………………..
After that : ……………………..
Finally : ……………………..
3. Complete the sentence with suitable words! ( Bobot Nilai 2 )
Giraffe is a strong animal, but horse is …………….( 4 ) than the giraffe and the elephant is the ……..… (5 ) among those animals.
All’s well that ends well
Mr.Joko Sulistya, M.Pd
KUNCI JAWABAN ULANGAN HARIAN 1 PAKET A
1. D 11. D 21. A
2. C 12. C 22. C
3. C 13. B 23. D
4. B 14. C 24. B
5. B 15. D 25. D
6. A 16. D 26. B
7. A 17. B 27. A
8. C 18. A 28. D
9. B 19. A 29. A
10. D 20. D 30. B